Tuesday, April 26, 2005

i would like to win the lotto, please

This post heading has been deliberately chosen since after I wrote yesterday's entry, Jake Gyllenhaal stole his upstairs neighbor's tv, dvd player and vcr.

Hunnhhh. I haven't bought a ticket, but you never know, right?

I guess he decided he had no choice. He'd cornered me yesterday when I was trying to fix her toilet and tried to get his damage deposit back. His brother ("actually he's my best friend") was in police custody and he had to get money to bail him out. I couldn't have helped him even if I'd wanted to since his money had already been spent on groceries and gas.

I know, I know, but that's where things are right now and a guy's gotta have groceries and gas, right?

Anyways, I'd been holding the place for him, so I told him if I found another tenant for May 1st he could have it back then, otherwise no pocky for kitty. Then he asked if he could borrow fifty bucks. I had to tell him I was completely broke. Which just makes me look really good.

I would have lent it to him. I'm a very trusting person, and he'd seemed like a good kid.

I can't evict him because he hasn't been charged. They worked it out between them. But now I have a bunch of locks to change, on top of a plumber's bill to pay because I'm too stupid to be able to fix a leaking toilet by myself.

Just as I was finishing typing that, I got a call from someone doing a telephone survey on people who pursue, but do not finish, post-secondary educational programs. Lovely. My phone died before I could finish telling her why.

Incredibly, I got a cheque for $199.53 from my insurance company yesterday. So I have options. I can either: a) pay my plumber's bill, b) get new locks, or c) register my car. Maybe even two out of three. The remainder have to wait till Friday. Meanwhile the water's shut off for plumbing repairs in Rowand House, and I desperately need to shit.

I realize that a lot of people have it far worse than I do right now. But man, it's stressful to have assets you need to protect that you just can't afford to. This is as close to rock bottom as you can get and still have equity.

Gotta go buy some locks. Everything else has to wait. Sorry, sister mine.