Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Creamy white garage sales

A few nights ago I had this really ugly dream - like, Evil Was Present. Most of it's gone, but the most vivid image is still with me like I just woke up from it. It was this close shot of this guy's mouth with a cigarette being held to it, and his face was rotting. Open sores were being stretched into gray mottled caverns across his skin, When he would take a drag, the smoke would bleed from his openings and drift across his face until he expelled it.

He kind of looked like Nicolas Cage.

I've been smoke-free for a fortnight now, and I thought that if I posted that here it might make it more real somehow - more of something I'll have to live up to. I'm getting back into the life of a musician again, and I'll need every psychological trick I can muster to face the biggest cig trigger of them all - the jam session.

Matter of fact, there's a lot of tests I haven't passed yet: post-job interview uncontrollable shakings, a night out at a new bar, a night out at an old bar, traffic accidents, the death of someone close, the death of someone distant, the death of someone famous, the imminent and outright cancellation of my credit, running the Terry Fox Marathon of Hope, being constipated, a really fucking good fried chicken dinner, hangin' with my step-mom, going to the Muttart Conservatory to check out the tropical plants, being kidnapped, fighting more than one person at a time... any one of these, or maybe something I haven't thought of yet, could be the very thing that causes me to ferret out a new pack of coffin nails.

Oh and now we're planning on moving, by the end of the month, which is only going to mean more stress-induced temptation. I have lived in this house for six years now, which is about as long as I've ever spent anywhere, and I have a lot of crap to deal with. Even though I've known that this has been coming down for a year or so and have therefore not been accumulating more of it, it's still just a lot of crap. A lot. And the blatant, beautiful fact that is staring me in the face as of today? Why, it's the following:

Most of it? Just gonna have to go, buddy.