Monday, December 13, 2004

An open letter to Blogsnob

Dear Blog Snob:

There, as I understand it, is a sexual connotation to the word "orgasm". It is a physiological response to stimulation of the genitals and other erogenous zones. Now, I understand that you wouldn't want to associate yourself with a site that features pictures of some of these erogenous zones being manipulated or pruriently displayed.

Mine doesn't. Well, I do have one picture of a butt with the map of the world on it, but that's it.

There is also a stigma attached to words like "orgasm", similar to that which follows other sex-themed vocabulary like "vibrator", "come", "jack", "penetration", and so on. If any of these words are found in the text of a message, the assumption is often made that the content is for adults only. The stigma, however, is not one of shock that comes from exposure to actual expletives like "tits", "cock", "pussy", "fuck" or "cum-guzzler". The stigma of "orgasm" is not the word itself - it's the associative properties we often attach to it.

So LOOK AT MY SITE. If it is, as you say, an actual person reading the ads, then what is preventing you from taking the ten seconds it would cost to investigate my content and make sure that the title of my blog - really just a metaphor for the small, personal and excellent things amidst what from a more distant perspective may look like mind-numbing squalor, and an attempt at being funny in a free-associative way - does not at all reflect the content. That as a matter of fact the content reclaims the word "orgasm", as well as "shantytown" for that matter, to set them aside for a moment from all of their associative relationships and present them as simply words, words that I think happen to look nice beside each other.

And even when you take it literally, what the hell is wrong with a shantytown orgasm? What is so goddamn offensive about it? It's not a swear word!

I like the idea of Blogsnob. I think I'm more than an okay writer and I would love to start building a readership, however small. I'm actually a blogger who would benefit from advertisements, in that my blog isn't just a bunch of pictures of my cat. There's humour, personality, content - all the good stuff, except readers. I'd hoped you could help me with that part, but I guess I need to find a different way to promote my blog. Because I can't change the name of my ad. It's the name of my blog. If I changed the ad, it would be false advertising.

Best of luck to you in your quest to make the world more boring. Forgive me if I don't acquiesce.

golyadkin