Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Best Everything! Best Caterer! Best Goddamn Trash Removal! It's The BEST! Say it! SAY IT...



When I saw the ridiculous "jars of urine" set piece, I knew the art direction of this movie was going to get a nomination. ("My god, it's full of piss!") The screenplay was about as subtle as a Judas Priest riff. As a film editor, Thelma Schoonmaker has been responsible for some truly genre-recreating workmanship and deserves her nomination for that, but if we're going to get sticky, she has been getting away with some real bloated nonsense for ten or twelve years now. Cape Fear was the last truly great editing job she did.

Honestly, I've never seen such a bunch of crap be so thrust upon with accolades. The best thing I can say about this film is that Scorsese resisted the impulse to trim the "The" from its title. It's nice to see a "the" showing up on the marquees. Hunnnhhh... maybe if Marty would just go bankrupt again...